Thursday, May 27, 2010

Thanks

Thanks for checking this these posts the past three of weeks. A bunch of people wanted me to post me and my brother's eulogy, so here they are.. (DREWS IS UNDER MINE)

In the few minutes that I’m given to speak, I cannot sum up the love that I have and always will have for my dad. As you all could probably imagine, my train of thought is moving in a thousand different directions, so bear with me as I put together some words that hopefully will summarize the amazing person that my dad was and always will be to me. First of all, I can say that I have never met such an outgoing, fun, funny, and overall wonderful person in my entire life. He was the perfect dad. Everyone loved being with him- even my friends. My dad and I shared the exact same personality and spirit, especially in the past few years as I’ve grown older. He died in a 55 year old’s body with a 25 year old’s spirit. Nothing could ever take the youth out of him. Whether we were playing obnoxious music on the jukebox at the towson diner to irritate all the other people eating, launching fireworks out of the sunroof, relaxing at the beach, or just going out to get dinner or ice cream every couple of nights, I can’t say that there has been a negative time that I spent with my dad. We would fish together, go to the beach, go to concerts, music stores, and overall just always enjoy each other in whatever we would be doing. He taught me countless things: how to swim, bodysurf, skimboard, skateboard, fish, but most importantly how to love and have a good time. He built me, drew, and the rest of the neighborhood kids a skate ramp that fulfilled half of my childhood. He built a longboard from scratch for us. He was willing to do anything to see a smile on me or my brother’s face. He has brought so much happiness into my life, and it’s so incredibly sad that it all had to end here. My dad would call drew and I every night- I don’t think he would ever miss one day. He always had something to say to cheer me up if I was depressed, and always had a funny story to tell me, or usually a story to back up my story. He had my back on everything, no matter what I was dealing with. My dad loved my brother and I more than anything in the world. He has taught me many things, but most importantly he has modeled the person that I want to be for the rest of my life. In these past three weeks, I have seen how special my dad really is through love from all of his family and friends, the endless stories and continuous support. This is the hardest thing that I have ever had to go through, and I know somehow he will help me get through this. I will never spend one day where im not thinking about him all the time. There is no number for the amount of money I would spend to see my dad again. I know that he will always be with me, and that one day I will be with him again.
Dad, as I said to you seconds before you left us, I love you more than anything in the world and I always will. I will miss you to a level that can’t be explained, and I know that your spirit will stay with me always. You fought an incredible battle that nobody can compare to. Rest in peace dad. There’s no more pain where you are now. You mean the world to me, and I will never forget the priceless moments we spent and will always spend together. I could not have asked for a better father. I love you dad, and I can’t wait to see you again.
----------------------------------------------------------------

These are some of the great memories my dad and I shared:

Going to Rehoboth Beach every year, where we body surfed and laid in the sun; I remember watching him swim out so far so we could hardly see him, and he would swim up to an hour before returning to our section of the beach. Swimming was definitely a passion of his. My brother and I are lucky to have learned from the best. We named some of the waves like Brother Bill and Slappy which we would say as they came our way; he taught me how to fish which was definitely a highlight of going to the beach, whether we fished in the pond at Spring Lake or went to fish at the beach; occasionally, we would catch a lot of fish that he cooked up for dinner. After playing all day, we would eat Grottos, usually followed by mini golf or Funland, and then go to Royal Treat for dessert
Or
Going to various places to eat like Bel Loc Diner, Soursis, San Sushi, Kent Lounge, the Rec Room, and especially downtown in Fellspoint to eat out by the water;
We especially loved going to the Several Species concert (a pink floyd cover band) at Pier Six as we did share the same interests in music
Or
Riding up to Gunpowder for a swim when it was really hot out; he would close the windows and blast the heat to make us really hot before we dove in
Or
Driving up to mom mom’s house to swim in the pool and lay in the sun, followed by a nice home cooked meal from mom mom
I am so lucky to have had such a great dad, I love him so much, and I know he will always be with me in spirit. He will always watch down on us and show us signs that he is here.

No comments:

Post a Comment