Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Tuesday 9:00 pm

I went to school today so my grandmother, Barb, Tom Hammer, and Rob stayed with him all afternoon. Apparently he has been very agitated and stressed all day, really fighting to get out of bed. As a result, we had to increase his meds because his comfort is more important than ours. Although we don't like sedating him, the nurse explained that he is most comfortable when asleep, so more medicine is needed to keep him calm and easy going. The nurse also told us that everything was probably going to begin gradually declining after today, mainly because his organs are slowly beginning to shut down and malfunction. He's asleep now, and looks pretty comfortable. Nothing too exciting for his birthday on his part.. he had a bunch of visitors though.

Visitors today: Tom Graf, George, Marisa, Spike, Mark, Drew and Pam, Joe Hart

1 comment:

  1. Hi Alex,

    I posted on Facebook, but I'm not sure if you're looking there so I wanted to say something here. Pam called my attention to your blog on Sunday and I've been following it since then. I want you to know my thoughts are very much with Tom and your family and all your friends, some of whom I haven't seen for more than 30 years. Before college I knew Tom from when I was a choirboy at the Cathedral Church of St. John. Tom was an acolyte and I remember one particular Christmas Eve service when he had obviously been partying before he showed up to put on his vestments and carry a taper down the aisle. Then there were all the times at the University of Delaware and the trips to the Florida Keys.

    I lost my dad last November and since then it seems like I've been going to someone's funeral every month. I look to the past and as much as I love so much about it, it's gone. I look to the future and all I see in the road ahead is loss. In the end, it's our own lives we lose. So what choice do we have but to grab whatever joy we can find in the moment? I'm glad Tom has the friends he has, who are there with him. We should all be so lucky. We should all be so loved.

    Paul Menser (Rhomboid)

    ReplyDelete